A JOURNEY WITH NO REAL DESTINATION

In December of 2010 I was diagnosed with Lupus/Mixed Connective Tissue Disorder. In March of 2011, I was diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, type 3. The MCTD/Lupus Dx was incorrect, they should call EDS "ACTD", (All Connective Tissue Disorder)!
Since my Ehlers-Danlos diagnosis, I have read a few wonderful blogs that have inspired me and touched my heart. One blog brought me to my knees; I cried, my heart broke, I laughed, I smiled and I identified with this Katie's story. Reading her journey made me realize that I wanted to share my own.
Details are not something I spare and I have never been a girl of few words. I hope I inspire you, educate you, motivate you and touch your heart. I hope by writing this, I learn, understand and accept my new journey...Is there a destination?

Monday, April 9, 2012

You are sticking a What? Where?





I recently started acupuncture treatment and I like it a lot. I think it was my second treatment when my Doc said "I am going to do acupuncture on your ears". My internal reaction was "You are going to stick a WHAT? WHERE?"...Well, I didn't love it the first time. He inserted small gold "tacks" into my ear at 5 different "points" and told me they would stay 4-10 days. Well, I took them out after 18 days. The "procedure" was not painful, but I could feel those dadgum needles (Tacks) in my ears and that irked me! Well, about 10 days ago my knees were killing me and I went in to see him, he did the "AURICULAR ACUPUNCTURE" for the second time. Two of the tacks he put in actually felt really good, I don't remember the rest. Well, this time I have not noticed the sensation of something "odd" being in my ear, I have even been able to sleep on that side. The only time it has bothered me this time has been the few times I have tried to scratch my ear and that didn't work very well!

So, what in the world is "Ear Puncture"? The "real" name of it is "Auricular Acupuncture" and believe it or not, it's been around for hundreds of years. In Massage Therapy school, I learned reflexology for feet and hands, I liked feet best so we'll talk about them. In Reflexology, practitioners usually focus on the feet, hands or ears and work on just that particular part of the body during a session. "For Feet's Sake"! It has been believed for hundreds of years that certain "points" on your feet correlate to different parts of your body. For instance, the top of your big toe correlates to your head. Got it? Do y'all think I really believed that the first time I heard it? Heck NO! Well, it's amazing! A trained practitioner can actually "feel" the "imbalance" when they are working on your feet. So, what do we do then? Well, we work in that "spot" on your foot and then we apply pressure. A good reflexologist will continue to work on your feet and ankles in their entirety and then return to the "problematic areas" to apply pressure and give special attention. REFLEXOLOGY reminds me a lot of AURICULAR ACUPUNCTURE. 

Much like our feet, our ears are actually a "map" or "copy" of the entire human organism (body). About 60 years ago Dr. Paul Nogier, mapped the human body over the outer ear, after he noticed that the basic shape of the ear appeared as if an inverted unborn baby was placed on top of it. We now know this as the somatotopic representation - the bottom of the ear represents the head of the fetus, the feet are towards the upper part of the ear, and the body is in between. The Helix Curve (outer part of the ear)  represents the back of the body. 
Once we understand this, it's easy see that the elevated part of that area of the ear (the antihelix) corresponds to the vertebrae. The internal organs are contained inside of the ear. The lungs and heart are situated in the lower area (inferior cavum concha) and the kidneys, intestines and bladder are represented by the superior cavum concha. With reflexology, you have a 1/2 hour to 1 hour session, with "ear puncture" those tacks apply that pressure to those areas for 4-10 days on average! 

Oh, you want to know "WHY" and "HOW" it works? There are different "beliefs", one set of theory is "energetically" based and is originates from the Eastern part of the world. If you have never taken the time to read about Qi and energy, please do so, it is very intriguing! The second theory, typically known as the European Theory is far more scientific and well, "rational". I love learning about the human body and how we all "work", yet, I am intrigued by the Eastern philosophy as well. I am a very intuitive person, yet, I enjoy science, it makes sense to me. I probably fall somewhere in the middle of the road, maybe I am "EUrAsian" when it comes to medical practices. Ohhhhh, you STILL want to know "How" it works? I don't really know, but it works for me! It may not work for you but It's worth a try! If you need help finding a practitioner that does Auricular Acupuncture, feel free to send me an email and I'll research it for you. 

(This is my Disclaimer!) NOW YOU LISTEN TO ME! Please understand it is not a "miracle cure"! Used in conjunction with exercise, pacing myself and manipulation, I have had favorable results. Your Doc may not be as good as mine! If you are in the Hudson Valley area of NY/NJ, I'll give you contact info so you can make an appointment with my Doctor. No matter what Doctor you are going to see for  ANYTHING, please always get "references" from others...(Others with our EDS issues if you can). You don't need an expert in EDS, you need someone willing to help you and someone to understand. Drugs are not always the best answer!!!! Remember that! 


















No comments:

Post a Comment