A JOURNEY WITH NO REAL DESTINATION

In December of 2010 I was diagnosed with Lupus/Mixed Connective Tissue Disorder. In March of 2011, I was diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, type 3. The MCTD/Lupus Dx was incorrect, they should call EDS "ACTD", (All Connective Tissue Disorder)!
Since my Ehlers-Danlos diagnosis, I have read a few wonderful blogs that have inspired me and touched my heart. One blog brought me to my knees; I cried, my heart broke, I laughed, I smiled and I identified with this Katie's story. Reading her journey made me realize that I wanted to share my own.
Details are not something I spare and I have never been a girl of few words. I hope I inspire you, educate you, motivate you and touch your heart. I hope by writing this, I learn, understand and accept my new journey...Is there a destination?

Monday, April 9, 2012

Do you have EDS?

I started on this at the conference this summer and have slowly added to it! Thanks to Anne and Danielle for the inspiration!

If you can pick your nose with your toes, You might have EDS
If you have days when you need a nap to rest up from the effort of getting out of bed in the morning, you might have EDS.
If your body snaps, crackles, and pops,  more than Rice Krispies,  you might have EDS.
If your dentist ever gave you so much Novocaine that his thumb was numb, and you could still feel everything, you might have EDS.
If you laugh hysterically with Anne, Ila and Gary about “Laffy Taffy”, uhm, you might have EDS!
If breathing causes dislocations, subluxations  and pain, you might have EDS.
If you have been called a Klutz for tripping over a thread on the carpet, you might have EDS. 
If your best friend says you are more lax than a spaghetti noodle, you might have EDS
If your joints go out more often that you do, you might have EDS.
If your medical records contain the key words “hypochondriac” “depression” “psychosomatic”, etc...You might just have EDS!
If you go to Cirque Du Soleil and are offered a job, you MIGHT have EDS!
If you think everyone can “pray” behind their back, you might have EDS!
If you plan on your tombstone saying: “STIFF” for the first time ever, you might have EDS!
If you are used to spending 1/2  an hour popping yourself into place in the mornings, you might have EDS!
If you have explained that EDS is NOT “erectile dysfunction syndrome” to alteast 12 people this month, Yeah, you’ve got EDS!
If you have ever said “Oh yeah, you are almost there, push it harder”  to your Chiropractor or D.O. when they are doing an adjustment, you might have EDS!
If you live on drinking salt water, you might have EDS!
If you ever had to stop gymnastics training because you are just too flexible, you might have EDS!
If you have ever been told “subluxations are very painful” and thought “no, really?” (please insert explicative as so desired). You might have EDS!
If you love for people to hug you because it pops your back, you might have EDS!
If you can touch the tip of your nose with your tongue, you might have EDS!
If you can touch the tip of your elbow with your tongue, You might have EDS!
If you have searched for Gumby, in your family tree, you might have EDS. 
If one of the first things you notice about new people you meet are the veins on their chest, you might have EDS. 
Seriously! If your spouse says “Hey honey, let’s go to bed a little early!” and your response is “Only if you pop my back afterwards?”, You might have EDS!

1 comment:

  1. Ila I think you might have EDS! Shall I add to this list for you?

    ReplyDelete