A JOURNEY WITH NO REAL DESTINATION

In December of 2010 I was diagnosed with Lupus/Mixed Connective Tissue Disorder. In March of 2011, I was diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, type 3. The MCTD/Lupus Dx was incorrect, they should call EDS "ACTD", (All Connective Tissue Disorder)!
Since my Ehlers-Danlos diagnosis, I have read a few wonderful blogs that have inspired me and touched my heart. One blog brought me to my knees; I cried, my heart broke, I laughed, I smiled and I identified with this Katie's story. Reading her journey made me realize that I wanted to share my own.
Details are not something I spare and I have never been a girl of few words. I hope I inspire you, educate you, motivate you and touch your heart. I hope by writing this, I learn, understand and accept my new journey...Is there a destination?

Friday, April 20, 2012

I DID IT AGAIN!!!!! Prolotherapy number 2

So, I just got done with Prolo session number 2. I wasn’t as nervous today, thank you Jesus! I don’t like being nervous, that’s no fun, I like being happy and excited about life! 
My sweet and awesome friend Elisa came in with me and held my hand. Unlike session one, this one was a bit prickly, not really painful just a bit more uncomfortable. Elisa is not only a great friend, mom and wife but she is a greatDoctor too. I thought she might like the “educational value” of being there with me. Well, not so much, she didn’t look! She said she was just there for me. If you read this Elisa....THANK YOU! Now, next time I have Prolo (2 weeks from today) I am doing it friendless! I can do it!!! I am Ila, hear me roar. Ha Ha. I think I may try it without Valium next time too, I hate feeling drugged in any way. Don’t get me wrong, it’s fine during the procedure but afterwards I am a bit loopy...Wait, I need to say I am a bit loopier than normal. 
I am reading a book that I CAN’T put down called “Gray Matter”, it is written by a neurosurgeon that prays with his patients. (YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK, if you can’t afford it, let me know and I’ll buy it for you!) So, I know prolo is nothing like neurosurgery but instead of drugging myself, I think I am going to ask my Doc to pray with me next time and see how that goes. Prayer has immediate and long-term effects but 1. you can drive afterwards 2. you don’t feel icky and blahhh 
  1. The effects last much longer than any drug.
So, what exactly is Prolo? Google it. I am just kidding! Prolotherapy is short for Proliferation Therapy and is sometimes known as “Sclerosing Therapy”. During a prolo session my doctor injects me with lidocaine and then he goes in a bit deeper and injects something called Dextrose. The Dextrose literally damages my ligaments and tendons. Well, if you don’t already know, when you have damage in your body, blood heals (keeping it simple) and your brain knows this so it increases the blood flow to the “injured” area. Hence, promoting healing. Now, typically, ligaments and tendons don’t get much blood flow but since they are damaged the body sends the great healing blood that way! Prolo also creates instant inflammation in the area being treated. It sounds NUTS but it feels so good. As my friend Katie says “It hurts so good”. 
I’m also very excited, my super duper Doc is gong to do some prolo in other parts of my spine next time. I’m keeping my faith that this is going to be the answer I have been looking for. 
On another note, this week has been a painful one and even some pains that I couldn’t explain. I’m a medically minded girl so I want to know why it hurts. My muscles have hated me all week because of subluxations and I’ve had atleast 20 from head to toe. ICK! I did get a great adjustment this morning and feel so much better. Let’s hope it stays that way for more than an hour! 
So, just for Anne, oh dear Anne. I didn’t cuss, I didn’t cry but I did try to grab the table once but couldn’t find anywhere to grab. Oh well! It went away quickly. Once again my dear friend, I did prolo.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! Mine is FULL of wonderful plans! Gotta run for now, I’m making pound cakes this afternoon!
Gentle Hugs,
Ila

No comments:

Post a Comment