A JOURNEY WITH NO REAL DESTINATION

In December of 2010 I was diagnosed with Lupus/Mixed Connective Tissue Disorder. In March of 2011, I was diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, type 3. The MCTD/Lupus Dx was incorrect, they should call EDS "ACTD", (All Connective Tissue Disorder)!
Since my Ehlers-Danlos diagnosis, I have read a few wonderful blogs that have inspired me and touched my heart. One blog brought me to my knees; I cried, my heart broke, I laughed, I smiled and I identified with this Katie's story. Reading her journey made me realize that I wanted to share my own.
Details are not something I spare and I have never been a girl of few words. I hope I inspire you, educate you, motivate you and touch your heart. I hope by writing this, I learn, understand and accept my new journey...Is there a destination?

Monday, April 23, 2012

Weekend Warriors


Wow! Is it Monday already? I’m so tired and hurt so bad (Did I just admit that?) that I can’t even think straight! My awesome friend Molly has been here with me and the boys this weekend and it’s been great. We’ve laughed, at times uncontrollably, we’ve had more than 6 months worth of deep and contemplative conversation, we’ve stayed up way to late, we’ve had fashion shows, makeup lessons, lots of “girl talk” (incase you don’t know, that is much different than contemplative conversation) and most of all, we have had a BLAST. We have both realized the blessing of having a good friend right beside you. We so often forget what a blessing and gift it is to have someone that really, truly and fully “GETS IT”! It’s almost funny that we “forget” how screwy our bodies really are. More often that not, we try to live our lives like nothing is different about us. Most of us smile, push through the pain, hope for balance or a soft floor through the dizziness and relish the wonderful lives God has given us. It’s rare, (at least for Me, Molly, Gary and a few other EDSers I know) that we really talk about how our bodies feel... Why would we? So few people really “get it”. I also think a lot of our “bottling it all up” is based on fear. I don’t want my boss to think that I can’t make that huge presentation for him because I might be in pain or heaven forbid, I might be dizzy that day. I don’t want my family to worry about me all the time and I don’t want my children to know that I am hurting. I really don’t want my husband to think he has a “whiny” wife. I want to be sunshine, not a sad streak! Molly feels the same way, we are good at smiling through it all...But when we get together, we let it all out and that’s good. We really understand. 
We saw Gary yesterday and as always I laughed a few times until I cried. Maybe it’s all of that laughing that made me so achy today! Molly and Gary never get to visit with each other because she lives so far away, I get to see Gary often. I am so happy that they got to spend some time together. We all went to hear Dr. David Levy’s presentation on “Should we keep Faith Out Of Medicine?”, it was great...Not as good as his book that I think everyone should read, it’s called “Gray Matter”. 
So, here’s to good friends that “get it” cause they’ve “got it”. 
Molly, I know you’ll read this, thank you girl, I love you. You are one AMAZING woman and I am so blessed that God brought us into each others lives. This weekend you have helped me understand far more than EDS, it’s been great! 
Gentle Hugs, 
Ila Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment